Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Ride Ride Ride Let ‘Em Ride

I allowed myself to be talked into taking charge of our church’s van route ministry. For the most part, the van picks up teens and returns them home. We do have an occasional adult or a younger child who rides. One rider is our oldest teen leaving his teen years behind about seventy years ago. His vision no longer allows him to drive, so he is the first “teen” we pick up and the last to be dropped off.

We have an established schedule and route. When I first started, teens or their parents would call to let me know if they were coming, but now we stop at each pick-up point to see if they’re going. The route is a large loop around a wide area.

Right now the availability of drivers is limited, but I am so blessed that the volunteers are so dedicated and willing to give their time and energy to gather these kids for Wednesday night services. Many of these kids are rough around the edges, but as teens, many of us wore the same shoes. Some of these young men and women are hearing the Word of God for the first time. I’m sure that many of these kids have heard God’s name, but never in a reverent way.

One big draw for the youth is being with other teens. We give them time in the gym with different games scheduled. It allows the energy and hormones to subside a bit before the actual time of Bible study. Also there is usually some kind of snack as a reward for coming.

I’ve told our associate/youth Pastor one reason that I hesitated before accepting the position was I get involved with the kids and their problems. Family problems, illnesses, accidents, school problems: as a kid shares these things, they burden my heart as well. It’s often not the exactly the same experiences, but I empathize with them. When one of them broke up a committed relationship, the youth considered suicide. That was a scary thought. At that time, I knew that the youth was unsaved. I’ve told them that they are my kids and if they need to talk, ask one of the other leaders, our Pastors, or me. Never allow things to get out of control. Some of us have addressed similar problems and may be able to offer solutions,

Last Wednesday, our fifteen passenger van was filled. Two kids were ill. Had they wanted to ride we would have had to make two runs, but that is the challenge and part of the fun.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment