Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Hurdles

Coming back to normal from a triple bypass surgery is a series of hurdles. The first is obvious, to survive the surgery. The next is to outlast any pain that occurs. Then there are the days of learning to walk. All of those obstacles were handled before I was discharged. Returning home, I was followed by an entourage of heath care workers. The first was to evaluate my home; to be sure I could still function in a familiar home setting. Hers was a single visit.

Next was my rehabilitation nurse. She removed my throw rugs to prevent a tripping hazard and laid out an exercise plan for me, coming two to three times each week and expanded the number of repetitions of each exercise and the amount of time for me to walk. Each visit the number of laps through my downstairs increased. My last boring excursion with her close on my heels was thirty minutes. I’ve seen that view for thirty years and very little has changed. I shared with her that my walks increased in length while outside. I always matched the time she assigned or surpassed it. She emphasized my need to walk on the level, but the two side roads I use have slight inclines. I don’t want to walk on the Macadam road. It’s flat, but too many people believe it’s a speedway.

When I mentioned that I was walking up and down slight inclines, she reiterated that I should be walking on flat ground. I chuckled to myself. “This is southwestern Pennsylvania. It’s hard enough to find a straight road, let alone a flat place to walk.” Yesterday on my jaunt, I saw a groundhog and the neighbor’s chickens on my morning tour and another neighbor’s dogs in the afternoon.

I’ve graduated from eight minute walks three times per day to thirty minutes twice each day. I hope she doesn’t expect me to do a marathon. I’ve led a rather sedentary life to this point which has probably affected my coronary arteries and the need for bypass surgery. Her visits will be only twice a week. I’ve exceeded her expectations.

Yesterday I was also visited by my home health nurse. After vital signs, she listened to my lungs, heart, and finally checked my chest wounds. She was pleased and has no plans to return unless I need her. My Foley catheter came out yesterday and she made sure I was voiding.

I managed to put several hurdles behind me. A few more doctors’ visits and the return of my driving privileges are my last hurdles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment