Monday, March 22, 2021

 

Heroes, All of You

I didn’t want to overwhelm people with too many stories from my recent hospitalization, so I resurrected an event that happened while working as a supervisor at Frick Hospital. What I want to share today is the fact that I appreciate each and every one of the talented and gracious people involved in any way during my stay for open heart, triple bypass surgery at Excela Health, Westmorland Hospital. As a nurse for over 34 years and being in the health care field for 38 years and 4 years to gain my Bachelor in Science Nursing, I understand the dedication needed to care for the sick and injured. I take off my hat to you all.

I applaud the techs, transport, aides, dietary, respiratory, housekeeping, doctors and their assistants as well as the nursing staff for maintaining my comfort. Although many of those who cared for me denied that I was imposing and taking time away from their assignments necessary for the care for the other clients, I knew better. When I was that one person and tied up staff members for an hour or two, the rest of their duties would pile up and others have to cover their charges.

I really haven’t remembered any more names than I recognized before, but I must share that even if you weren’t mentioned by name, my care would have suffered and I would not have recovered so quickly. Eyes and masks didn’t allow me to recognize many of you and unless I find myself in a harem where you’re sequestered under the watchful eye of a giant eunuch guard, I probably won’t recognize you again. Besides I was still very groggy from drugs with strange black silhouettes spearing in my dreams.

Enough of my humor and making light of my surgery, you all were truly tremendous. I hope my impression on each of you will as memorable as your presence and care was for me.

Take care and God bless you all. I cannot say enough about my care and especially of the people who made my stay at your hospital a memory that will not quickly forgotten, even in the encroaching fog of my old age.

Recently, I was pleasantly surprised when an old friend and reader sent an email saying that he was sorry to hear about my surgery. He’d read my account of my triple bypass surgery saying that he enjoyed reading stories from my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment