Friday, March 12, 2021

 

God’s Timing is Always Perfect

I just returned home after having a triple bypass surgery on my heart. I know there are those who say, “If God is so good, how could He allow you to be so ill to have a major surgery?” Let me tell you about the string of events that led to the surgery. Some may say it’s a string of coincidences, but often God places events one after another so you are compelled to do whet needs done, painful or not.

After my admission at Frick for low potassium and urinary infection, I was doing a follow-up with my PCP. I casually mentioned that I could haul in firewood and shovel show for half an hour and nothing, but if I walked the 35- 40 yards to my mailbox, I developed chest tightness, Like taking a deep breath of cold air, She said that it time for another stress test.

I failed the test miserably, only walking for 3 minutes and 40 seconds. That aimed me to have a cardiac cath and possible stent insertion. Friday, my cath physician said the I had 3 vessels, including a major one the the artery the call “The widow maker.” He told me that he could go ahead and place six to eight stents, but the possibility of them re-occluding was great and would eventually happen. As I tried to gather my thoughts and evaluate what I should do, he said, “I cannot with good conscience allow you to go home.” The blockages were 80% + blocked. The good part is that my heart was healthy without disease or heart attack. Now was the time to take care of my heart before I had a heart attack and a damaged heart.

I was admitted immediately to await the knife. Not a pleasant thought, but it looked like the only feasible option. There was no arguing. It needed done. I was lined up to have further testing and to get ready for Monday, the big day. There was no fear. I was pressed against an immovable barrier of the impending surgery.

I woke up still entubated and in pain. I couldn’t complain, but lost the pain in a blur of drugs. I was half asleep for several days, relearning how to breathe deeply again. The nursing care and the attentiveness of physical and respiratory therapy was always courteous and on time

The one thing that didn’t happen was when the nurses signed my cough-heart pillow, I asked them to leave their phone number. I didn’t have any takers. I’m home now and learning my new medications. I will update later. I’m feeling kind of washed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment