Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Worn and Weary

I had a procedure done last Wednesday It was to correct problems associated with an enlarged prostate gland. I’ve been taking medication for years to alleviate the problem. The meds have helped, but recently I’ve been getting up five to eight times during the night. I sought further attention when I found that I wasn’t able to empty my bladder and I would still have the pressure of a full bladder after I tried to void and knew I’d soon be making another excursion to the bathroom. Many nights, the uncomfortable full feeling didn’t allow much sleep time.

Earlier it was suggested by the urologist that the RESUM procedure would be a viable option when the medications no longer worked. My alternatives were to endure the discomfort and continue with the medications or to have surgery. RESUM could be done in an exam room of the physician’s office. I chose the RESUM. How difficult could it be?

My only instructions beforehand were to stop all blood thinners five days before, take antibiotics and a pain pill just prior the procedure. They told me I’d be sporting a catheter for a week afterward. Other people have endured a catheter, so I figured I could too. As the event began, gel anesthesia was squirted into my urethra, then it clamped to allow it to take effect. I was rolled to one side and a thin plastic guide was inserted into my rectum, allowing a log needle to be directed to my prostate for more injections of anesthesia.

Now ladies, I can commiserate with you to a certain extent. Naked from the waist down, I was instructed to place my feet in the stirrups. I was exposed to all the world as a catheter was inserted. The RESUM treatment is to steam the prostate gland and the catheter was to keep it open. I know it’s not the same as delivering a baby, but stretching something that was never designed to stretch was an eye-opening event for me, WIDE EYED! It took all I could do to keep from standing up on the exam table and saying, “I’m out of here.” After what seemed like an eternity, it was over and the pain pill I’d consumed earlier was now having no effect. I don’t know how people get their jollies with hydrocodone/APAP. It did nothing for me.

It’s early morning and I’ve gotten rid of the catheter, leg bag, and the large overnight bag. I have no idea what the results of the RESUM procedure will be, but even though the physician said it might take a couple of treatments, I’m saying, “No, one was quite enough.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment