Wednesday, December 30, 2020

 

Screwing My Head Back Into Place

I’m trying to get my life back into the routine I had before my hypoglycemic spell in Wal-Mart Monday 12, 21, 2020 and the following events. My collapse at Wal-Mart and the ensuing phone tag with my PCP had my world in disarray. X-ray of my right shoulder and blood work through a series of trips to the hospital and emergency department eventually revealed that my kidneys weren’t functioning properly and my blood potassium was low. I was advised by my PCP to head to the hospital because of my low potassium level.

Chronic loose bowel movements and limited kidney function had depleted my reserves until I was worn out. Because I felt so ill I relished the thought of being admitted Christmas Eve. Tests ruled out that the diarrhea was from an infection called C-diff; C-diff is very contagious. Although negative, the docs decided to treat me. My urine came back with pseudomonas. I was not emptying my bladder. I ended up having another catheter inserted.

I was isolated inside a negative air flow room. I met new hospital employees and was reintroduced to some that I’d worked with in the past one person at a time. The negative air flow room was solitary confinement. When I was able to meet some of those I shared a work experience, it was wonderful and I was introduced to a few of the newer nurses. One nurse I met was named Jake. I’d actually worked with his mom. Because I was in isolation, I didn’t see him as much as if there was a regular room with an actual open door. He worked hard to make himself available for anything I might need. One day I asked how things were going and he said, “Pharmacy was late delivering the drugs,” which meant there was a glitch threw the rest of his day off. Later I asked if things were any better and he shared that a “code silver” had been called and it was his patient. A code silver occurs when a patient becomes belligerent, often threatening staff members or other patients with bodily harm. The nurse and other staff members have the responsibility to calm the situation and to maintain a safe environment for all involved. It’s never easy and very often time consuming that takes time away from other patients and tasks that are time sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment