Thursday, August 27, 2020


Feeling Puzzled
As a corpsman working in the emergency department of the Naval Training Center’s Hospital in Orlando, Florida, I was allowed to suture many of the lacerations that presented themselves. The emergency room doctor viewed the laceration before the corpsmen started to sew it, then after the suturing was complete. It was rare that the physician ever had to repair a wound. There were exceptions. The doctor repaired women when it involved the face.
I loved to suture wounds. Each wound posed a specific challenge. It was like putting all of the pieces to a jig saw puzzle back to its proper place. As I finished, I had the satisfaction of a job well done.
Although others didn’t like to deal with children, I loved the challenge of repairing a child’s cut. I took my time with each child. As long as I could talk to them with them and they could understand, I shared what I planned to do. I could usually close the cut without having to fasten the child to a “Papoose” board. A Papoose board was a flat board with Velcro straps that would hold a child securely in place.
I’d first ask the child if they’d ever seen their mommy “sew up a hole in their pants or shirt?” When they said “Yes,” I would tell them that was what I wanted to do with their boo-boo.
Then I would follow up by asking, “Did you ever bump your elbow and it made your arm feel funny?” When their answer was “Yes,” I would ask “Have you ever had a mosquito bite or a bee sting?” If they would say “Yes,” I’d tell them that was exactly what I was going to do to them. “The tiny needle that I use will make your cut go to sleep.” I would gently tug on their hair and tell them “That is what you will feel when I fix your boo-boo.”
I talked to them the entire time I was working on them, explaining as I cleaned the wound that they would feel coldness.
I eased the needle inside one side of the cut, slowly injecting the Lidocaine to numb the laceration. The nerve endings there were already injured and most times it wouldn’t be felt.
I’d talk to the child or to nervous parents’ for a few minutes to allow the wound to “fall asleep.” Finally, I’d be able to deal with the laceration and suture it shut. No muss, no fuss, then I’d put a bandage over it and send them on their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment