Monday, January 6, 2020


Delay of Game
Saturday afternoon my family celebrated Christmas. Because of scheduling difficulties it was the first mutually convenient day for our gathering. In the past holidays were around my availability. Employed as a nurse for over thirty years, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and even birthday activities were planned for my off days. Now I must bow to the needs of my children just as flexible as they’ve been.
It was a pleasant afternoon and evening with a pot luck type meal. We all had assigned foods, but not the exact recipe and flavors. It was a success, then we could retire to the living room to open gifts. I was so glad that the stack of gifts I’d accumulated over the past year could finally be given out. Gradually, I try to buy things the kids will like or make them smile. I’m not a black Friday shopper. Finding a few items to open and money in a card, and I’m through. I found 3 Snow babies together in a package. All were holding a flat plate that could be written on; instead I had brass plaques with each granddaughter’s first and middle names with their birthday affixed to the babies. It was followed by a short time of an ice cream with toppings. Hugs and goodbye kisses sealed the celebration.
Sunday became another special occasion. Our church hosted Colton Lee and his wife Melody to lead the Saturday night winter retreat. About 12 teens came out to listen to this dynamic man speak and to join the fun activities.
Sunday morning, he spoke to the church congregation about his ventures and their ministry. His calling crossed two fields of endeavor and I am at a loss as to whether he is an evangelist or a missionary. He is really doing both. Colton was one of the young men who were to accompany Pastor Norm Johnston to Madagascar when Norm died the day before they were to leave. It didn’t deter the several men who were to be his traveling companions and brother missionaries. I was impressed as Colton spoke of this excursion and of the leading from God as one plan collapsed and another door opened. One item was he mentioned was planned travel arrangements fell through. They met a local pastor that connected them with and allowed them to journey with the President of their target province in Madagascar. My tears welled up as Colton spoke of my dear friend, Pastor Johnston and of this mission trip that Norman was never to see. Even though he was no longer present, it was as if Pastor Norm spurred these young men to greater depths of dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment