Monday, July 9, 2018


Much Ado About Lots to Do
It was a busy weekend, starting with Friday morning. I was scheduled to have an MRI of my right upper arm. “Arrive half an hour early” was my only instructions. For those who know me, arriving early is a given. I was having an MRI to determine why my right bicep looks like Popeye’s after eating a can of spinach. Anyway, it looks different than my left arm.
MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging and the person for the test must remove all metal from their body. Clad in oversized scrub greens, I’m led to a chamber holding a narrow cot that is in line with a large mechanical donut. After I am arranged on this bed with my left arm overhead, I’m inserted through the donut hole and the testing is started. Although the music in the headphones is of the 60’s the thrumming of the machine is heard. Long before the test is complete my left shoulder begins to ache from holding its position. My positioning enhanced a pulled muscle in my back. Oh joy.
Saturday, I decide to be a good neighbor and mow his lawn and mine. Four circuits around the nearly 2 acre lot and my mower’s belt pops off. It was my fault entirely, but that doesn’t lessen the problem nor eliminate having to use parts of my aching body. I fiddled with the belt and thinking it was still too loose, I got out my old walk-behind self-propelled mower to finish the long arduous task with my back complaining with every step. My son-in-law Lames stopped and asked if he could look at the mower. He looked under and said the belt was back on the pulleys and looked okay. I was surprised because I’d never put it back on before without disassembling one of the guards like the online video says, but  climbed on, started it and off I rolled spewing grass clippings and waving thanks to James.
Sunday, was the 98th Rugg family reunion. I’ve mentioned that I met my great-grandfather Rugg as he and my great uncle Lincoln sat on the Rugg farm front porch. They were opposites. Curtis was lean while Uncle Lincoln was rotund.
It was great reconnecting with members of the family that are only seen at the reunion once a year. A person needs to know the past roots of their family or that history will be lost. Plans for next year were started and for the 100th reunion, two years away.

No comments:

Post a Comment