Friday, July 6, 2018


Friends From Afar
The morning of the Fourth of July evolved into an unexpected and pleasurable event. It was a culmination of some possibilities, but let me take you back to the foundation of the incidental beginning. I received a friend request on Facebook. There is nothing unusual about that, some days I get six or more friend request from the fisching robots. I always check out their profile before I decide to accept. Usually, if we don’t have common friends, I decline. This request was from a young man living in Illinois and since I have relatives in Illinois, I investigated further.
I found out later that it was from this young man’s friend Daniel who’d sent the request. Daniel sent out multiple requests to a number of people with the same name as us, Tom Beck. I accepted and we began to correspond. Both men were still in college. Tom is interested in history and reenactments of battles from different wars. I know he is involved Civil war, and WW I battles. In corresponding on Facebook, he and his friend Daniel became acquainted with each me, sharing stories, family histories, and some cross currents of genealogy. I’ve followed some of his antics on Facebook and he has read some of mine. This is another connection. My grandmother’s ancestors were DeKalb. Her name was Anna Nickles nee Kalp Beck and several generations back, her forefathers included Baron Johann DeKalb who fought in the Revolutionary War.
A few days ago he and his friend Daniel on the spur of the moment decided to drive from DeKalb, Illinois through my area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to be in Philadelphia in time to celebrate Independence Day at Independence Hall and see the Liberty Bell. He thought it would be a cool idea to actually meet. I thought so too and told him as long as there weren’t ten people in the car, I’d treat for lunch. I wanted to take them to local restaurant, but it was a holiday. They were closed, so we dined sumptuously at MacDonald’s instead. It was great to meet Tom and Daniel. They were still young and impulsive. It was wonderful to share stories and to listen to their aspirations. So much information was exchanged in such a short time, I don’t understand why people are consumed with texting when face to face is so much more exhilarating and fruitful. I loved meeting you guys. Take care and drive safely.

P.S. They texted me Thursday evening to say they made it safely home.

No comments:

Post a Comment