Wednesday, July 18, 2018


How Did I Ever
Five years ago before I retired, I looked forward to my days off to “get things done around the house.” Now that I’ve retired I still look for “days off” without something else to do but they seem too few and too far between. Somehow each week becomes cluttered with things to do. It’s not that I’m complaining, being busy keeps me out of trouble and Keeps me thankful that I’m still alive, although I usually have aches and pains enough to remind me of that.
This past Sunday morning I had church and Sunday school. At 1:00 pm I drove to a lifelong friend’s home for a cookout. The variety of food was tremendous and just tasting a bit of each left me quite full. I met some of her family and other friends and had a great time making new friends. Sunday evening services capped the day.
Monday became a surprise babysitting job with my granddaughter, but I had some chores to run and decided to combine the two. I needed to stop at Rural King in Connellsville, Pennsylvania for some supplies and since I was almost halfway to my son’s house, I decided to visit his family to drop off some recently purchased books and blouses for his two daughters. Hannah got to play with her cousins Celine and Moriah for about an hour before we headed back to home.
After the babysitting gig, I stopped for some groceries. Waiting at home were several loads of laundry. The one load would have to wait until Wednesday until I could hang the jeans outside to dry. My good friend and fellow writer needed a lift to a medical treatment on Tuesday, but UGH! Her appointment was for 8:15 am. It was an early rise day for me. She needed to stop afterwards for her medications. She began to feel ill and we cut that excursion short. I managed to get her to her appointment and back home without her melting in the intermittent deluges.
Tuesday evening I attended the monthly meeting of the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. It combined a picnic with the presentation. Jim Maestrole spoke, shared his hobby of assembling old items that were once useful into lamps that are beautifully mechanical in appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment