Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Not So Exciting
Today is nearly kicked in the can and there have been no bright spots or highlights in my day. My view to the east this morning was soggy, sodden and gray. A heavy drizzle from thick gray clouds barely allows me to view the woods across the neighbor’s field. I definitely couldn’t see the mountains or the rising sun. The wind whipped the rain onto my front porch and lifted the protective tarp from my firewood. I waited for a break in the rain before I dragged out my wheelbarrow to haul in two loads of firewood before recovering and securing the tarp in place in an attempt to have drier firewood.
My excitement for the day was eating some of the leftovers from my refrigerator, opening a can of beets, and washing and drying a load of towels and washcloths. My right knee has been complaining all day long. Each time I climb the steps from my basement, it protests loudly. I guess it has serviced me for almost 74 years and other than an infection in my left knee when I was a teen, they’ve kept me moving forward.
The incident with my left knee was caused when my foot went through a wooden well covering, only stopped when the two boards at each side pinched my knee. The resulting scrape allowed bacteria to infect my knee. It didn’t affect me then, but some time later, I was shinnying up a tree and pressing that knee joint against the rough tree bark stirred the pot and I developed a cellulites. I spent an entire week in the Connellsville hospital getting antibiotic injections in my butt. The lack of activity and the assault on my fanny was a terrible intrusion on the life of a teenage boy. I was almost to the point of tying sheets together to make a rope to escape through a window.
God is still good. I have both of my legs that allow me to walk and I still have my brain, although those brain cells have weakened. I blame it on my fall and head injury in February 2015. I have had to keep a desk calendar; listing upcoming appointments to be sure I don’t forget. I also have a pad of paper on my desk. On it I write a grocery list when I find something I need and I also list chores I have to do: get gas for the car, make an appointment for a haircut, have taxes done, etc. A younger me thought, “How can a guy forget to pull up his zipper.” Now I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment