Monday, February 17, 2020


Pennies Nickels and Dimes Oh My
Money, money everywhere; it seems as though I find money everywhere. There is never enough money for me to splurge, and buy a house, a car, or even a meal at a fancy restaurant and the worst thing is, it’s nearly always mine. The windfall always occurs on laundry day when I am likely to find some money on the bottom of the washer or in the dryer. The denomination is usually a dime. I do have a sneaking suspicion that it is the same dime I shove into my pocket while I’m transferring the wet clothes from the washer to the dryer. I forget the dime is in my pocket and when I wash clothing the next time, it gets another ride in the laundry express.
I occasionally find a dime in the yard where I’ve pulled my car keys from my pants pocket where the dime manages to escape as well. This is a rare occurrence. It’s noticed much more easily when there is no snow. The coin is spotted on the grass or gravel driveway and not hidden in the snow.
The other place I often find coins is in my bedroom at the bottom of my bed. The money makes its escape as I shift the contents from the pockets of one pair of pants to the other. The coin bounces out of sight beneath the bed or beneath the dresser, although a dime or penny manages to hide in plain sight in the nap of the carpet.
In past posts, you’ve heard my rant about the designs of the new coinage. A five year old could have drawn the sketch for the etching to make the absolutely horrid designs. Coins for the United States from our past are nothing short of artistic treasures. Their silver and gold images are exceptional. They are beautiful almost to the point the owner would enjoy looking at them when they made transactions.
I slowly gather coins and my pockets fill. I don’t want to wear a hole in my pants pocket, so I count them, stack them, roll them, and take them to the bank when I’ve saved a few dollars. I did have a spat with my bank. I called the main office because they didn’t want to accept my rolled coins. It only happens once every several months. That irritated me and I threatened to take my banking elsewhere if they refused me. After all, it is still legal tender.
I wonder what piece of money I will find next.

No comments:

Post a Comment