Wednesday, February 12, 2020


Delicious
I was tired and quickly fell asleep, just a short nap I thought. When I awoke, I thought, “I want to dream a bit more.” I want to go back and finish my dream. I’d been collecting a wide variety of chocolate treats. I had filled a large brown paper shopping bag to the very brim with a large number of these luscious brown delights. Cellophane wrapped Ding Dongs, Ho Ho’s, peanut butter eggs, chocolate covered wafer bars, and chocolate covered marshmallows filled the bag to overflowing.
I can remember for some reason I’d harvested chocolate covered marshmallows and I have no idea why. I don’t like eating them at all, even in a dream. However, I did remember not to gather any chocolate covered cherries. My mother-in-law Retha Morrison mistakenly thought that I actually liked Cello chocolate covered cherries and I was sure that I would find them wrapped up and under the Christmas tree somewhere. Since her death, my kids have carried on the “tradition” of making those sweet morsels appear at some other time during the year.
I thought that I’d turn the tables this Christmas and I bought small boxes of the Cello chocolate covered cherries that are bathed in the sweet liquid pool. I was going to pass them out at the Christmas dinner at my sister Kathy Basinger’s house for our annual gathering. But the joke was on me. Because of conflicts of interest, we were unable to find a mutual date for the meal.
Even though I’ve been generous with other people, I still have a stockpile of nearly a dozen boxes of chocolate covered cherries swathed in bright red Christmas wrapping paper in my living room close to my front door…just in case I can think of someone else to whom I can pass another gift of chocolate covered cherries. Are you interested?
Friday evening I went to a Valentine’s dinner at a local church with my daughter Amanda Yoder and her family. Monday evening I had a meal with my son Andrew and his family. Tuesday I went to lunch with a few of my Connellsville High School friends. I ate leftover meatball stew for several days to feed myself around the invitations of friends and family. I could get used to this. Anyone want to invite me to lunch? I have chocolate covered cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment