Friday, November 8, 2019


The Week's Almost Over
When the week began, I had only three days with something scheduled. By the time it's over, I will have an event happening each day. Two phone calls I made Monday sealed my fate. The first call was to schedule my semi-annual dental cleaning. I’m retired, but had no inkling that the dentist would have an opening for Monday. In the past, I have had to wait at least a week. I did chores at home before going to my dental appointment, doing three loads of laundry and cleaning my kitchen.
Tuesday, I took my car to my mechanic’s garage. Last week I began to smell some exhaust fumes and hear a rattling sound. I stopped at his shop last Friday and he said that the manifold needed to be replaced. The appointment was made for Tuesday. I dropped my car off and got a ride home, then later in the day to pick my car back up once it was finished with my younger daughter Anna Prinkey. The second telephone call was for my eye exam. I wasn’t having problems with my vision, but the lenses were scratched from summer yard work. While mowing on my riding mower, some of my shrubs and trees brushed against the lenses, leaving telltale furrows on the surface. The examination was for Thursday afternoon.
Wednesday was my usual workday at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. Sorting, storing, and trying to maximize the space we have for photographs, maps, records, and artifacts. There seems to be a constant stream of sorting things into alphabetical order or storing into categories. Wednesday evening is always prayer meeting at our church which finished filling the day.
Thursday was an eye appointment, which was my second call Monday. I don’t mind the series of tests, but when the optometrist places dilating drops into my eyes, I don’t particularly enjoy that feeling. While I waited for my slit lamp exam, the tech measured me for the on new frames I decided on earlier. I always go early to choose frames before my vision is distorted by those drops. I purposely postponed grocery shopping until after the exam. Driving can be hazardous with dilated pupils.
I‘m attending a veteran’s ceremony this afternoon, the event is done by the Mt. Carmel School to honor and to thank the United States military men and women for service to the country. This display has in the past been a tremendously emotional presentation with the students singing and reciting patriotic salutes to each flag, each military branch, and recognition of each veteran who attends. Thank you for remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment