Wednesday, November 1, 2017


My New New Year’s Resolution
It’s not too soon for me to think about changes in my life style. Last year about this time my New Year’s resolution was, “If I am grumpy, I don’t leave home. No one wants to deal with a grumpy old man.” I’ve shared this resolution with many people at the checkout counters. Usually they chuckle and thank me. Some of them actually share some horror stories. It makes me happy that I am not on their black list. The good thing is, it is one resolution that I’ve been able to keep so far.
As the year is drawing to an end, I have been ruminating what to do. I want to make another positive change in my life. The past two months I have become extremely busy and can see that November will be another hectic month. My pocket calendar has become far too full and I think that is where my assault should be. After the first of the year, I want to be a recluse, a hermit, a person who loves the feeling of cabin fever; at least for a few weeks, maybe a month. I need to find some time to hide from appointments, meetings, and other events that want to lay a claim on my life.
There were ten days in October without something on my schedule that I planned to do. In those ten days I did the household chores, mow my yard and the neighbor’s yard, as well as do the laundry. I had to move my furniture getting ready for the installation of my flooring and carpet. Of course, I removed the carpet and padding to save a few dollars, shaving off more of my free time.
I guess what I am trying to say is I need to understand the word “no” and be willing to use it much more, even when I am talking with myself. That is the resolution I want to make. Whether or not I can keep it, only time will tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment