Monday, October 30, 2017


Too Sore, Too Old, Too Fast, Too Cold
A combination of thoughts has fueled this morning’s post. Friday, I had dental surgery to remove a dead tooth. Because of my lack of care of a child, I have less than a perfect smile, supplemented by a partial plate. The ache from the work caused me to miss a wedding to go to Wal-mart to pick up some medication for the pain.
On Saturday, I missed a book signing and reading because I didn’t feel like dealing with the public. My mouth was still sore and my son Andrew asked that I help him move his household belongings from the storage unit to their new home. We’d unpacked the 28 feet long Penske rental truck and stored the contents two weeks earlier.
We arrived with a 26 feet long U-Haul another pick-up truck, small trailer, and several other vehicles filled with 8 adults and three children. We managed to get everything loaded under cloudy skies and feeling the sprinkling of the promises of rain later.
The drive to their home just outside of Uniontown was uneventful and after jockeying positions, we began to empty the vehicles, sorting the boxes and bins as they were uncovered. Some went into the garage and shed, some went into the house, and some went into the basement. Because the carpets had just been cleaned, the unloading was in a fire brigade style passing things from outside person to inside people. Seven and a half hours later we were finished, wet from the last 2 hours of unloading in the rain.
Yesterday, with the arrival of cold, damp weather, the soreness caught up with me. Aching knees and leg muscles are feeling the wear and tear greeted me. This morning, little has changed. I am greeted by a cold damp wind and the ache of an overused body.

No comments:

Post a Comment