Wednesday, March 11, 2015


Back to the vaults, dredging thoughts that I had before I made the decision to retire.

Retirement was not an easy decision to make. I had agonized over it for months before I finally chose to call it quits. I was almost thirty-seven years at the same place. I made tentative moves to retire about six months earlier. So many decisions had to be made. What type of health insurance? How much would it cost? I had tried to apply for Veteran’s health care, but was making too much money. Should I find private insurance or because of pre-existing health problems, should I continue under COBRA?
What should I do with my 403 B? When should I apply for my Social Security benefits? How should I select the payments for my retirement pension? It was a frustratingly slow process. If I had a question, I would ask human relations office. They answered my questions, but offered no real guidance.
When you are driving, how do you know what direction to go? Either someone tells you or you have a map.  This was what I had been thinking as I went for my exit interview. Near the end of my interview, I was asked if I had any suggestions.
I said, “You now give new employees months of orientation and shadowing. You give employees who move from one area of the hospital to another and extended orientation period. Why doesn’t the hospital offer a day of “orientation” for employees who are nearing retirement age?”
“It would be optional. You could have representatives from the different health care companies, from Social Security office, Veteran’s Affairs, financial planners, legal advisors, retirement communities, activity groups, volunteer organizations, health clubs, etc. The representatives should be able to do or schedule appointments for one on one consultation.” (I specifically did not include A.A.R.P. They claim to look out for the well-being of the senior citizen population, but they whole heartedly supported national health care. I feel they did it to make millions more by selling supplemental health care insurance.)
I continued, “If management feels it was important and necessary for each employee to have a thorough and extensive orientation, shouldn’t they think it’s important to help their valued and often long time employees to make one of the most important choices in their lives? This will be the last orientation class that management would be giving us. Shouldn’t it be a good one? Shouldn’t the employee leave with a great perception of their work place?”
My interviewer agreed with me and wrote my comments for others to read.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment