Monday, September 16, 2013

Just Like a Ghost
This next story isn’t quite a ghost story, but it is in the same vein I will tell it anyway. I had just taken the body of a deceased person to the morgue, placed the cart in the cooler, and was doing the paper work in the log, when I heard voices in the storeroom through a connecting vent high on the wall. It was our maintenance man, Frank and Nicki, one of the female central supply techs. They were retrieving a bariatric bed. Bariatric beds are oversized beds for the larger patients. The bed was stored directly beneath the vent.

I moved across the morgue until I was underneath the vent. I cupped my hands around my mouth and making a funnel I moaned, “W-O-O-O-O-O-O! W-O-O-O-O-O!”

They immediately stopped talking. Then I heard Nicki ask, “Frank, did you hear that!”

When Frank didn’t answer right away, she persisted, “Did you hear that?”

Frank said “Yes! Yes I did.”

“What was that?” She asked.

I heard Frank shush her.

They were quiet and I could tell they were listening. So I waited. When I heard them start to move the bed in the next room, I again moaned, “W-O-O-O-O-O! W-O-O-O-O-O!”

Nicki said, “Let’s get out of here!” I heard the supply room door pop open and the bed rolled out of the room at a high rate of speed.

Later, I met Frank in the hallway and told him what I had done. He laughed and said, “I didn’t know what that noise was. I knew the morgue was next door, so I thought at first it could have been a ghost. The second time you moaned, Nicki’s eyes bugged out. She grabbed my arm and almost climbed up onto my shoulders. I think she would have if I would have let her.”

            We never told Nicki. Nicki, if you read this, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment