Wednesday, March 13, 2024

 Who Was That Masked Man
Do you remember watching the old black and white television sets with Howdy Doody, Ma & Pa Kettle, Hopalong Cassidy, The Cisco Kid, and Roy Rogers. There were many others, including cartoons of Tom Terrific and his wonder dog, Mighty Manfred, Felix the Cat, and Our Gang. Laurel and Hardy as well as the different cartoons of the Merry Melodies. The one television program I am specifically speaking is the Lone Ranger with his faithful sidekick Tonto. They would ride into town on their horses, Tonto on his paint and the Lone Ranger on his white stallion. They were coming to right the wrong that was running rampant.
The distinguishing factor that made the Lone Ranger so memorable was that he wore a mask…not like the ones today that covered the mouth, making speaking little more than mumbles, but his covered his face from the nose upwards. Even as a kid, I wondered how the small mask over the eyes kept folks from recognizing him, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the program.
Recently masks are worn over the mouth and nose, effectively disguising the person beneath it. One day I stopped at a local stoe for a loaf of bread and lettuce for a salad. I was greeted by a guy with a beard. I managed to catch sight of it before it disappeared beneath the paper shield. He recognized me because I’d just left the store and removed the mask as soon as the door closed behind me. He greeted me with’ “How have you been?” I replied that I was doing well. He nodded and walked into the store. The voice was familiar, but I still don’t know who was talking to me.
Too often when passing masked people in Wal-Mart I was able to recognize them from their hairstyle or their eyes, but not too often. It’s like I was living in a world of anonymity.
Perhaps that’s what our government wanted. If we can’t recognize each other, how can we assemble and stand firm against their dictatorial practices. The right to assemble is a Constitutional right, but with whom can you assemble?
One assembly I am most thankful was attending church services three times each week. Getting out of the house was a true blessing and being with friends and church family. Our choir was on break for the month of January. I was glad when we ressumed to get ready for our Easter program. I don’t claim to have an excellent singing voice, but the Scripture sayd to make a joyful noise, and I guess I’m able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment