Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Succombing to Terrible Temptaion
I’ve shared before that I am taking part of an experimental drug for Eli Lilly. The medication or a placebo is given to the participants in this study that is to help people with type II diabetes. At one time I was prescribed Ozempic injectable by an endocrinologist. Ozempic caused me to have either nausea or severe heartburn symptoms twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. I wasn’t able tolerate it even at half strength dosage. When I called the endoncrinologist’s office, I was told, “But the doctor really wants you to take it.” There seemed to be no compassion or any other advice, so I stopped taking it.
This new medication I’m able to take it by mouth. I knew it would work in a similar way as the injectible medications, so I expected I might have some nausea or heartburn. I wasn’’t disappointed. I did have the symptom of heartburn, but it was so much less and it was tolerable. I continued to take it.
The difficulty of participating in the study is that I have to keep information in several journals and placing the results in a cell phone for storage. Initially, it was a bit overwhelming. Once I got used to the questions aand the places to enter my results, the task seemed less intimidating.
I also am keeping a journal for my dietician. I’m trying to eat healthier and keep a detailed log of what I eat. I am doing my best to integrate the two lists. It still requires two ledgers. I borrow information from one and enter the statistics in the others.
One of my favorite snacks was pepperoncini peppers. I hadn’t eaten them in a while. Seeing them in a store, mI was tempted and bought a jar.When I got home, I ate a few. It was foolish of me. I knew I had a low grade heartburn, but I was unable to resist. The result, I had just shoveled coal onto the fire. It felt as though I had swallowed a blowtorch and for three days I ate a bland diet and swallowed one antacid after another to keep the blast furnace under control. Monday my boiling stomach cauldron had settled to a low simmer. I still continued the bland diet with smaller portions of food, but I was feeling more comfortable. Tuesday I started a slightly expanded diet without fanning the flames. I pray that I don’t stoke the furnace again. Does anyone want a pertial jar of pepperoncini peppers?

No comments:

Post a Comment