Monday, October 23, 2023

 Not Quite a Wake
Over the weekend I attended a memorial service for the son of a gracious lady that I know. I have attended several memorials in my life, but the unusual thing was where it was held. The woman scheduled the event to be held in a bar. That is what confused me. I know Irish wakes are a celebration of the deceased’s life to remove some of the sting of the person’s passing. I have never attended a wake so I have nothing with which to compare this ceremony.
Several friends and I stopped to greet the man’s mother with a hug and to offer our condolences as we entered. A young man was strumming on his guitar and sang several songs. He left the raised dais after a few songs to mingle with the guests. The area quickly became congested with elbow to elbow people. I headed outdoors when I saw through a glass door there was an empty covered patio. Several tall glass towers of propane flame heated were lighted the area. It beckoned to me. There were half dozen glass topped tables surrounded by chairs outside and as of yet unoccupied. It was unused as of yet. The patio was completely empty. I decided to take my soft drink outside and take a seat where I could at least move and breathe. Several of my friends soon joined me. A breeze caused the air outside to have occasional chilly drafts, but it soon warmed again with the several propane heaters.
Later we were told one corner of the bar area was a food station. The table was filled with pizzas having different toppings. The table also had candied bacon, deep fried cheese sticks, and cheese balls also arrayed to sample. Coffee and tea were available at the other side of the horseshoe shaped bar. Non-alcoholic drinks were proffered free to all, but mixed drinks, beer, and ales were not. They could be purchased if you desired alcohol to drink.
The interior of the bar area remained packed. People wandered in and out of the bar and in and out onto the patio. It was a constant ebb and flow. Even with the heaters the evening grew colder. My friends and I decided it was time to leave. We paid our respects to the mother and departed. I still am unsure as to whether I should call it a memorial or a muted wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment