Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Sunrise and Sunset

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where beautiful sunrises and sunsets abound. I often share photographs of shots I’ve taken on Facebook. The variety of colors and designs are endless. Clouds often change shape and reflect the wonderful light from the arriving or departing sun.. Sometimes the moon makes an appearance before the sun disappears for the day.

My house is located higher up in the Laurel Ridge with an open field to the East of me that is lined with trees at its far side. I also have a pasture to the West of me bordered by trees and a higher hill. The scenery alone is beautiful, but their colors and shapes change with the seasons sprinkling even more interesting details.

I’ve seen the sun as a hot glowing red ball just beginning to peek over the horizon to the East as the day begins. It spreads its red light onto the clouds that scurry by or swell up into huge behemoths of white and gray. Clouds act as “movie screens” reflecting the sun’s distinctive hues of the sun. Often the East field is sometimes shrouded in dew, veiled in a low hanging white fog giving it a misty otherworld appearance. The colors of autumn add a patchwork of color and winter decorates the trees in ice and snow. There are some days when the rain storms into the area and hides the sun behind a thick curtain of clouds and downpours. On days when the sky is free of clouds, the sun rises as a white hot orb hovering at the top of the trees. The dew quickly dissipates in the heat.

All day the sun travels over my home to its destination in the West. As it settles in for the night, it often leaves red lip-prints as a goodbye kiss, staining the horizon. Sometimes it is a bright, bold color while other times it’s just a hint of color as if to say, “Don’t worry. I’ll be back tomorrow.” I believe that God uses the sun, clouds, trees, and skies to show His attention to detail and the routine of each changing day and season for us to know that He is reliable and faithful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment