Monday, September 12, 2022

Autumn Chill

The bright sunny days of summer have somehow almost completely slipped away, yielding to slightly cooler days and even chillier nights. An extra blanket feels more comfortable when the window is cracked open in an otherwise stuffy bedroom. I haven’t yet decided to bring out the flannel sheets, but perhaps soon. Yesterday, I washed and dried my king sized, hand sewn patchwork quilt. It is in the tumbling block pattern and the material is of recycled double knit fabric. Almost every diamond shaped piece of the quilt has a family story attached to it. It was at one time, someone’s skirt, pants, shirt or blouse and is easily recognizable by the color or the print pattern. Each block resurrects a page in my book of memories.

Apples on the trees in the back yard were picked by a friend who presses them into apple juice to freeze. I really don’t want to make applesauce, apple butter, or apple schnitz. I offered them to my kids and had no takers. I may gather s few of the better ones, pare, slice, and freeze some. I make keep a few of the golden delicious to eat. The few that fall to the ground or are damaged I’ll toss into the pasture for the neighbor’s horses.

It seems each time I try to downsize, I end up storing something for someone else. To those people who say a person can’t take belongings with them to the grave? I’m sure I’ll find a way.

I have one room in my house that I say is decorated in early depression. There are old tools and enamel pots and pans hanging on the walls that are too good to throw away, but not the best or easiest to use for cooking or for work. I have several old photographs interspaced to keep that room from looking like a hoarder’s hideaway. Because I was thinking about getting into a smaller house, I stored the Christmas decorations there too rather than lugging them to the attic.

My chimney was cleaned out and I still have most of my firewood to be stacked, covered, hauled in, and burned, but the chill hasn’t deepened enough yet. I am planning to order another load of wood and may get some coal. I like the consistent heat. Leaves are beginning to turn and it will be time to fry sausage for the Ohiopyle Volunteer Fire Department’s Sausage and Buckwheat Festival. This year it will be held October, 14, 15, and 16. I’ve I’m waiting for the call to join the ranks. This will be the forty-sixth year, working my way up from dishwasher, to cake fryer, and finally frying sausage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment