Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Being Young Again Isn’t Something to Be Wished For

Tuesday morning at 12.45 AM, I was awakened by my cell phone’s distinctive ring. My ring tone is Popeye the Sailor Man. Hearing that sound so early in the morning is quite disturbing. My thoughts were, “Who’s calling me at this time of night?” I didn’t look at the caller’s identification, but quickly answered, thinking it could be one of my kids who was calling in an emergency.

It wasn’t any of my family, but a friend who was stranded in the local emergency department and needed a ride to get home. I’ve been her chauffeur many times in the past. I said, “I’ll be down as soon as I can climb into clothes.” Besides getting dressed, it took me a few minutes to screw my head on straight and adjust my eyes, getting the sandman’s recent deposit removed.

My car was covered in dew. The wipers swept off the dew, but I had to wait until the heater cleared the inside of my windshield before I could see to drive. The brightness of approaching car lights and the reflection from the huge yellow traffic signs pierced the fog in my head, but I was able to navigate the familiar route to my old employer, H. C. Frick Hospital. I worked there for 34 years. Since Excela took over there have been many changes in architecture, but it still felt like home to me.

I parked my car at the entrance and strode inside. I forgot that hospitals are still requiring masks and I didn’t have one on. I didn’t think about it as I gained access to the inner sanctum of the emergency rooms. I thought, “As long as I’m not confronted about it, I’m not going to worry.” And I didn’t.

I gathered my friend and walked her out to my waiting car and helped her in. I had a surprise for her. I told her, “I didn’t wear a mask AND I was carrying my pistol in my pocket.” Weapons are banned from hospitals.

She surprised me by saying, “I couldn’t think of anyone else to call. You’re the only one I know that can still drive at night.” Wonderful! I guess I don’t need to drink Pepsi to feel young.

I got her to her home saying, “Good night and sleep well.”

Heading home, the car lights and sign reflections seemed a little less bright. I was glad to be home to pen my experience before I convinced myself it was just a dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment