Monday, January 11, 2021

 

Some Things Remembered

As I dressed for church Sunday morning, I decided to wear my once-a-year “remembrance” necktie. It has special meaning to me because of who gave it to me. Nancy, a switchboard operator at Frick hospital and I got into a small argument when I mentioned that I thought her blouse was pretty, the bright colors enhanced by black background. “This old thing… I’ll give it to you,” she fussed. I told her that I just thought it was pretty. Well, to make a short story long, at Christmas, she had a necktie made for me out of the blouse. When I put it on, she swore and said, “That made a nicer tie than the blouse.”

I always thought of my grandparent’s Beck at Christmastime. I was concerned about what to get them as a gift. I knew they still had clothing wrapped in cellophane tucked away. I wasn’t sure how that could happen to them until this year. I have things in my living room, still in packages waiting for me to sort through them and store them away. Not from my kids, but from others who were sharing their holiday spirit with me. I do appreciate the gifts. I’ve just lost some enthusiasm this year.

Christmas celebrations were postponed until this past Saturday. It was wonderful to have my family visit for a brunch. We were able to pass out gifts and sit and talk. It was a true blessing to be able to gather and give hugs. It wasn’t making the same memories of past celebrations, but that may be a reason for it to be more memorable. It was a time where love and affection overruled the gifts and glitter.

Candles were reserved for decorations, romance or when the power went out and needed for light. Today there are a wide variety of candles that come in various colors and a seemingly innumerable number of scents, some of them will actually change as the candle burns. Candles were once a necessity in every home are now relegated to the “junk drawer;” the just-in-case drawer with thin candles that may once again grace the top of a birthday cake.

We just had a candlelight service at our church, celebrating the New Year. A single candle was lit at the front of the church and as those of our congregation approached it, they lit a candle that they carried and shared a testimony of the past year. Even though 2020 wasn’t what we expected, there was still much for which we could be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment