Friday, June 21, 2019


Mood Mixtures
Today, June 21 is the day of the year that there is the most sunshine during the twenty-four hours and the day of the year that nighttime is the shortest. Through the rest of the year, the daylight will ebb and the darkness of nighttime will increase. I know this because today would have been my Father’s birthday. One of his claims to fame was, “I was born on the longest day of the year.
He was born on June 21, 1923 in the small town of Champion, Pennsylvania, one of two sons of Edson Thomas Beck and Anna Nichols Kalp Beck. He had two sisters, Estella Beck Strawderman and Helen Beck Stahl. My Dad attended the Longwood School and was a 1942 graduate of Connellsville High School. Formerly employed at the Melcroft Mines, he later was employed for 29 years at Walworth in Greensburg. At age 58, He was hired at Robertshaw in New Stanton. After his retirement, he worked at Seven Springs as a shuttle bus driver. An Army veteran of World War II, he served in the Philippines, Japan and Australia. He was a member of the Normalville VFW and was a former member of the Saltlick Township Volunteer Fire Department. At one time he drove their ambulance and was so proud to serve the area and develop friendships with all of the great men of the fire department. He also was a member of the Indian Head Church of God and the Men's and Women's Sunday School Class.
I had no photos of my dad as a child until visited the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society to speak about writing and my books. I saw a photo hanging on the wall of the Longwood Schools and the students. I saw several faces that might be his. When I asked, they removed it from the wall and on the reverse side I found my Dad’s name. They made copies for me and I was thrilled.
Most of my Father’s military photos have been either misplaced or destroyed. I can remember going through them as a child. I was blessed to have worked with him at Walworth for nearly a year before enlisting in the Navy and also volunteered with him as a member of the Saltlick Volunteer Fire Department.
So, today is filled with mixed emotions, sadness at his departure, but also pride at having such a caring Father. He was a father that didn’t often say “I love you,” but lived it day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment