Friday, February 1, 2019


Just Another Day
Yesterday was another busy day that I wasn’t sure would happen. My daughter-in0law Renee Beck was to have same day surgery. Because of my son Andrew’s schedule and her arrival time, he wasn’t able to drive her to the appointment or to watch their two children, Celine and Moriah. Grandpa Tom said he would do it.
Wednesday evening, I was worried. I started to have periods of feeling hot and feeling off balance, the same feelings that kept me off my house roof; for a short period of time. I was concerned that I may not be able to keep my part of the bargain and leave Renee without a driver and the kids without a daycare supervisor. When Renee called with the time, I told her I was having the hot flushes to kind of say I may not be able to drive her. The alternative was for Andrew to call off from his job. That’s something no boss likes and shorts the paycheck.
I felt okay yesterday morning and was able to do my grandfatherly duties. Renee’s blood sugar was really low after the fasting and she drank some juice. The worse the hospital would do is to insert a naso-gastric tube prior to surgery. The low blood sugar wasn’t tolerable.
I dropped her off and headed back to her home to oversee the girls as they worked on their homeschool assignments and to keep the home fires stoked in the wood burner. The girls were great, completing their schooling work and their house chores. Chickens watered and lunch made, we settled back to wait for the call saying it was time to pick up Renee.
The wait seemed long. I found out later that there was a delay in the starting time, but the phone call finally came. Packing up the girls, we made the 35 minute drive to Mon Valley Hospital. The route from their home to Mon Valley has to be another roadway in Pennsylvania that is very winding. It follows the Monongahela River much of the way.
With everyone safely back home, I began the 45 minute drive to my own home. I was glad to be home. Shortly after arriving home, the feeling of disequilibrium returned. It was not intense, but if I’d have had it when I awoke, I’m not sure I would have felt safe enough to drive the car with Renee and kids in the car.
I’m having less nasal congestion and feeling much better this morning. I am beginning to believe that sinus pressure is at the root of my balance problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment