Wednesday, September 5, 2018


Places I Have Been
Before my stint in the Navy, the only places I visited were with my parents. My dad Carl was even more frugal than I am and we spent his vacations visiting relatives. The longest trip was to Florida to visit my aunt and Uncle Helen and Jake Stahl in Orlando. Shorter trips included visiting my aunt and uncle, Cora and Fred Hyatt in Sheridan, Illinois and to see my aunt and uncle, Ina and “Nicky” Nicholson in Millersport, Ohio.
For my time in service to my country started basic training and naval corps school at Great Lakes training center in Illinois, spending the winter there. Then I was sent to Orlando, Florida from the chill of the north to the heat of Florida. My next assignment was to Keflavik, Iceland and travelled from the hot humid south to a chilly 60 degree weather.
After taking classes at the Fayette campus of Penn State, I was assigned classes at State College, Pennsylvania. After graduating, I found employment at Monsour Hospital then at Frick Hospital. After my marriage to Cindy Morrison, the next trip was to visit her relatives in Jamestown, New York. Cindy felt ill on the return trip. It was our introduction to parenthood. Cindy was pregnant with Amanda, our first. Only my craving for greasy hamburgers alerted us to our other two pregnancies.
Family vacations included Sea World, the Knoxville World’s Fair, and a visit to Murfreesboro, Tennessee and to “The Wilds” church camp in North Carolina. The next major trip for me and the family was to “the Wilds of the Rockies.” It was part of the tenting trip out west with seventeen teens, seven adults, touring multiple national parks for seventeen days.
My next major trip was to Newfoundland/ Labrador Canada, driving most of the way then riding a ship to Nain returning to Newfoundland. A trip to Cottonwood, Arizona for my son Andrew’s wedding to Renee Largent was next. Later my son moved to Amarillo and that was my next long distance trip.
I joined a friend on a trip to Elkins, West Virginia to tide the train to the ghost town of Spruce. I travelled with the same friend across the southern border of Pennsylvania, up the east side, back across the northern counties, finally returning home along the western border of our state. Fifteen days of waterfalls, battlefields, and hotels wore me out. I’ve been pretty much a homebody since then. I’m just wondering it’s time for another escape vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment