Wednesday, May 9, 2018


Mow Mow Mow That Yard
Monday I woke with a headache, the queasies, and slightly off balance. I wasn’t actually dizzy, but had to be careful when I got up or walked. My headache was left over from Sunday evening. I occasionally get a bout of disequilibrium, but I think this was head and sinus congestion. I thought that it was over and decided to do a load of laundry and to mow my yard. By the time I was finished, I was feeling nauseated again by the time I finished my yard, but hung in until I did my neighbor’s yard. One of my co-workers asked why I didn’t have the neighbor boy mow my lawn. I told him, my neighbor was over eighty with 2 hearing aids and hip replacement surgery.
I made a bread pudding for tomorrow lunch and accidentally doubled the sugar for the recipe. Other than allowing it to bake for another 5 minutes to set fully, the taste was spot on even though it was certainly sweet.
Other mowing stories from the past came to mind. When my wife Cindy was alive, I only had a walk behind mower. It was hot outside, and I developed a major cramp in the calf of my leg. I dropped to the ground and tried to stretch it out. When I couldn’t, I crawled back inside and relaxed until it went away. I can’t remember whether I finished the lawn or not.
Another mower story is about my dad, Carl Beck. For some reason, he only bought lawn mowers that were painted red. When we asked him about it, he said, “Red makes them run like a son-of-a-gun.” Enough said.
The first new riding mower that I bought has an amusing story to it. My son Andrew had some friends who had 4 wheelers. He pestered me about getting an ATV for him. There were other things for which the money was needed. I thought I’d tease him when I bought the riding lawn mower. I just didn’t have time to mow with a walk behind. While he was at school, the mower was delivered. I hid it behind the house. When he came home, I said we bought a 2 wheeler and after going over the safety rules for driving it, I tossed him the keys and told him where it was. He rushed out. When he saw it, he uttered not a word, but turned the key and sped off. Love that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment