Monday, May 28, 2018


Adjusting
All of us need to adjust sometimes in our lives, whether it happens with folks as newlyweds, with new parents at the birth of a child, or the grief with the death of a parent, sibling, spouse, or God forbid the death of a child. These are major adjustments that we must make in order to continue living. But we must make hundreds of minor adjustments each day; from what to make for breakfast when there’s no milk for our cereal to what to wear when the clothing we wanted is in the laundry waiting to be washed.
During each day, we readjust our clothing to fit more comfortably, adjust our seatbelts when we intend to drive our cars, or adjust the channel on the television changing to the program we want to watch. Right now, I’m adjusting to a new medication that my primary care physician has started me on. I don’t think I am tolerating it well. I’ve found several of the side effects are present and discomforting, but no severe reactions, yet. I’ll continue with the medication until I can reach the office on Tuesday to see what she’d like me to do.
Because of the side effects, Saturday night I sat in my recliner to sleep. The chair is located close to two large windows. Suddenly, I was awakened when the room lit up almost like an arc welder had struck a spark. I had no idea what had happened, but my instinct said there was a lightning strike and very close. I cringed, waiting for the thunderous crash I was sure would follow, shaking the house and rattling the windows. I was sure the lightning strike had occurred right outside of the windows. But nothing happened for about 6 seconds, then from far off the thunder roared loudly and began to fill the room. The strike must have been massive for it to make enough light to fill my room and waken me. I got up to quickly adjust the windows to a closed position knowing the rain was sure to follow.
Instead of returning to my chair, I climbed into my bed, adjusted my pillow and blankets before returning to my interrupted night of rest and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment