Wednesday, June 17, 2020


On the Go Monday
I got a phone call from my friend and fellow writer, “Could you drive to Walmart to pick up the groceries I ordered”? My feet are so sore to walk on.” I’d driven her before and knew she only asked when she couldn’t drive her own car, so I agreed. She helps me to publish and create covers for the books I’ve written.
It was fortuitous that she made the pickup time when she did. Otherwise I couldn’t have accommodated her. I’d already volunteered to help at church decorate the front of the sanctuary in preparation for Vacation Bible School.
My friend must have had almost nothing left in her cupboards or refrigerator. As we drove to collect her groceries, she began to tell me that her blood sugar dropped and she ate a few bites of a candy bar and a can of beets to stave off her hypoglycemia. She had a frozen TV dinner, but was saving it in case I couldn’t take her to retrieve her groceries.
As the young lady was moving the shopping bags from her cart into the trunk of my car, I said, “I’m her grandson.” The girl laughed and my friend just scowled. She’s only a couple of years older than me.
Back at her apartment, she brought out 2 shopping carts and we filled them. My trunk was full of her supplies. I felt better knowing she had food in her house.
I hurried home, had lunch, and joined a few other volunteers turning the raised dais ad the baptistery into a scene from an old time gold mine. Mining for gold is the theme for VBS this year. First we covered the front walls with huge crumpled sheets of painted paper to mimic the rock walls of a mine. Then we began to decide where we would place the props: lanterns, old wooden bucket, powder keg, “dynamite” and dynamite box, carbide light, a mine cart filled with gold, and various mining tools.
Three hours of work and the scene was ready for the first day of Bible school. June 22, from 10 A.M. until noon at the Mt. Zion Community Church located at the top of Kreinbrook Hill Road. It’s for kids 5-12 years old and lunch will be provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment