Wednesday, June 10, 2020


Back to Normal in Normalville
Last Wednesday was the first day I started to actually work at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. We were not actually open to the public, but because there were things I the files I needed to finish our newsletter, Down Memory Lane. The contents are things of local interest; historical things in the Laurel Highlands. The one I had planned was to share the important place Southwest Pennsylvania played in the Underground Railroad and in the Abolition of slavery. Due to the delay because of the C-19 virus and following concerns, the officers decided it wasn’t the time to share. I had to scramble to replace that feature article.
Yesterday I was finally able to be seen at my dentist’s office in Normalville, Pennsylvania. I somehow had three roughened areas or made chips in my teeth. It wasn’t a dire emergency, but it created areas for food to collect as I ate and made flossing difficult. I have had the same dentist for nearly thirty years. One of us is definitely growing older. Some things changed, but it was great to see the Doc and his office help.
The procedures for the dental work had changed because of the virus concerns. I had to rinse my mouth before we started with hydrogen peroxide and water wash. I’ve always had a good relationship with my dentist. For anyone who has come in contact with me, they know I enjoy teasing and plating with words. That maybe why I like to write and share my thoughts. I can’t wear the paper face masks. I have allergies to something in them and wheeze for a few days after. A good friend of mine made a black cloth mask that has printed on it “Trump 20202.” I slipped it on when I heard the dentist entering my cubicle and asked “Do you want me t open wide?”
He laughed and said, “You do know that I’m a Democrat?” We both had a good laugh and he went to work smoothing and making the necessary repairs.
That done I returned home to make some props for our upcoming Vacation Bible School. The theme is “Mining for Gold.” The front of the sanctuary will be transformed into a gold mine vignette with lanterns, mining tools, kegs, wooden buckets, ropes, “dynamite boxes” and other items to set the stage for anyone who attends.
Children from 5 to 12 years of age are encouraged to attend Monday June 22 through Friday June 26 at 11 AM. There will be a lunch provided. It’s time to get things back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment