Wednesday, May 6, 2020


Post It Notes
Since I started my blog, I’ve shared 1,292 posts. With this post it will be 1,293. The blogs started by recalling my adventures in nursing, as a corpsman in the United States Navy, my years in college, and my history as a child. I also make note of stories passed down to me by my parents Edson Carl Beck and my mother Sybil Miner Beck. I share these tales from my heritage because I don’t want them to be lost. There are so many stories I know I have forgotten and that upsets me. I wish I’d have noted them much earlier while they were fresh and I wish I would have listened more carefully when Uncles, Aunts, Grandparents, and Parents were talking.
My children Amanda Yoder, Anna Prinkey, and Andrew Beck asked me to write a biography of my life. I thought my blog was what I was doing. At their insistence, I did a brief outline of the facts, but it was like an iceberg lettuce salad without dressing. It was bland. I wrote the biography listing where I was born, my home, and my school days. I shared first jobs, my enlistment in the United States Navy, my duty stations, and college. I shared the time after graduation with a BSN degree in nursing, the hospitals where I worked, and positions that I held.
Then came my retirement and the beginning of my writing career, where I felt the stories from my past were better served in a blog form than in a written journal. Blogging is in essence is electronic journaling and was more expedient for me. I’ve led a rather sedate life with some scattered incidents of excitement. Those are the things I try to include in my BlogSpot. They are the things I think might be interesting to others.
After I became a published author, I had to promote my books and became a little more outgoing. Couple that fact with my house being empty except for my cat Willow I enjoyed making excursions out of the house and meeting people. I was able to talk with someone, anyone.
As a nursing supervisor, I was able to talk with others on a daily basis, form friendships, and share small portions of their lives. Retirement curtailed that outlet and I needed the stimulation of talking with others. Sometimes it was with complete strangers.
I completed the task of the dry biography for my kids, but the really interesting and likable stuff was already written and saved in my blog. PS, I am just rambling because I haven’t any idea of what to share today.

No comments:

Post a Comment