Wednesday, April 8, 2020


Lost and Found
Have you ever lost something and then spent hours or even days searching for that item? I just had one of those days Monday. I ran out of my allergy medication and left home to buy some. The worsening of my spring hay fever couldn’t have happened at a worse time with the CoVid 19 scare in full swing. I really needed to purchase some more. Claritin is the over-the-counter medication my physician recommends that I use. Having hypertension limits the brands I can take. I bought the medication and batteries that I needed and came home. Later that afternoon, I noticed that the back of my cell phone case was missing. I looked in its holster, in my jacket pockets, my pants pocket, and in my car. I retraced my steps to the mailbox and back. No such luck. I searched places that I’d been: the computer room, the basement, my bedroom, and the living room, nothing. I was in a near panic after remembering all of the other places I’d been. I thought perhaps it had fallen off while I was shopping, but I was certain that I hadn’t removed it from its holster. I gave up, then as I was walking to my recliner I found it on the floor, although I was sure I’d searched there before.
This brought to memory the time I lost my wallet. I was in more of a panic then. I worried about my driver’s license. After searching for two days with my wife Cindy helping, it remained missing in action. I cancelled one credit card and was about to begin the process to obtain another driver’s license, social security and medical insurance card. I was almost out of options and of hope in finding my billfold.
From my previous search efforts the items on top of our bedroom highboy dresser were out of place. I began rearranged them to their original positions, but not quite. A framed photograph of my mother-in-law toppled over and fell behind the dresser. I didn’t hear it hit the floor. I fetched a flashlight to see what had happened. I was afraid if I moved the highboy it might fall the whole way to the floor and shatter the glass. I shined the light behind the bureau. It hadn’t fallen to the floor, because my wallet stopped it. Only about eleven inches down it was wedged there. I was able to reach the photograph to prevent it from falling farther, then I could move the chest of drawers and retrieve my wallet. I was blessed and thankful that I didn’t have the trouble of having duplicate documents made.

No comments:

Post a Comment