Friday, September 20, 2019


Things That Aren’t There Anymore
As I drove to lunch on Tuesday with my Connellsville Senior High School classmates (and one cougar) I passed many places that hold special memories. Some of them have changed while some are no longer there. The first memory I passed is Fred Brown’s store at the crossroads of White, Pennsylvania. The building is still there, but now is a private residence. The next place is a farmhouse and barn that has burned to the ground, injuring several horses. Less than half mile away was another shell of a house consumed by fire leaving two brothers homeless.
A newer brick church has replaced the old white clapboard Clinton Church of God where my family attended for so many Sunday. Straight-backed, brown-painted, hard wooden pews faced a raised dais surrounded by a fence-like altar rail. A rough hemp rope hanging in the offset connected to a bell in the belfry above.
Across the road was a small store. Soda pop, candy, chips, pretzels, household canned goods, and supplies were available. The old owner kept it open on Sunday to collect the children’s coins for goodies.
Another memory place was from my adult life, as a member of the Springfield Township Volunteer Fire Department. It was the hottest fire I’d ever fought. The wind was pushing the heat and flames along the side of the house. Three of us firefighters were spreading a heavy mist to prevent a garage and vehicles from burning while others tried to knock down the flames.
Across the road was a car fire on another day. I arrived before the fire trucks and as I put on my bunker gear, I heard water gurgling in a nearby stream. Gathering buckets from the homeowner I started a bucket brigade, dumping water on the windshield. The water flowed under the hood and the fire was nearly extinguished before more firemen came.
Another memory spots was a building where we made hoagies, parties, and sold dinners for the church. The building remains, but a nearby picnic pavilion where more fund raising dinners were served is no longer there.
What brought this influx of nostalgia to surface happened because I showed my silver, turquoise, and coral ring to a friend. It was the first wedding anniversary gift to me my wife Cindy gave to me. I hadn’t seen it after Cindy’s death until the first anniversary of her passing. When I found it, it was a sign to remove my wedding band. I did and still wear it today. On my other hand I wear a silver Celtic knot ring which was the last piece of jewelry she gave to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment