Wednesday, August 14, 2019


The Hodgepodge Dodge
I’m not sure who to blame, myself or our assistant to the Pastor, but I had one of those interrupted, difficult-to-go-back-to-sleep nights. The assistant’s part was his asking how many had a hard time falling asleep at night and I usually have no problem. My part included falling asleep late in the evening while reading. I woke forty-five minutes later, refreshed and not a bit sleepy when it was bedtime. Not only did I have trouble falling asleep, but I woke frequently with the same problem.
If I wake during the night, my usual solution is to spend some time in prayer for my family, my church, my church family, my country, and the people in government. I don’t always get to the “Amen” at the end, because sleep will claim me. This worked to an extent, but waking several times through the night isn’t the most restful.
Friday I met a nun whose home was in Nigeria. She came to our writer’s meeting. Seemi Then was her name. (Excuse the spelling) Her “sister-name” was Philomena and she gave insight to her country and her view on life as she studied nursing.
I spent much of Saturday being docent at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. As a docent it was my responsibility to open the facility, answer phone calls, sort and file items that were put of place and be general caretaker during my shift. I had only one visitor in my four hour shift, but that’s how it is, sometimes a docent is busy sharing the facility with guests and many times not.
Sunday, I partially described by blaming the Pastor’s assistant for my difficult night of trying to sleep. The entire day was busy with church, Sunday school, choir practice and evening services with our men’s ensemble practicing a new song.
Yesterday, my friend and fellow writer had a meltdown. She made arrangements for us to be at a book signing and reading for September. The sponsor wants the author and illustrator to be there. Because I illustrated some of the pages of her children’s books, she relied on me to be there. In my usual forgetful way, I missed the date was the same date as my niece’s wedding. I know, shame on me. I know that both are important, but even though I don’t like to sit through the wedding ceremony, I had to choose the wedding. My friend is trying to work out another date. We’ll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment