Monday, August 26, 2019


Let’s Have Another Cup of Coffee
Eileen worked night shift in the computer room and came to the emergency room to buy a cup of coffee before the beginning of her shift. She was the only person in her area and didn’t want to brew a pot of coffee for herself. She would chat for a few minutes then report to work. The coffee pot in the emergency department sat on a stand at the end of narrow lounge area.
I was supervising when I got a page from the emergency room. The nurse asked if I could come down right away, not explaining why. When I arrived. She pointed to an exam room with the door closed. I gave her a questioning look. She pointed again. “Eileen needs to talk to you.”
When I entered, Eileen was crying. “What’s wrong?” I asked.
“I’m gonna get fired!” she wailed. “They’re going to fire me.”
“Wait! Wait! What do you mean you’re going to get fired?” I asked. “What in the world happened?” Eileen was the most meek and timid person that I knew. I could not fathom anything that she could have done to get herself fired.
She said, “I hit Dr. Allen.”
“Okay?” And I paused. I didn’t know what else to say, but I knew I needed to hear more. I wanted to understand the details before I said anything more.
She explained between her sobs, “I walked into the lounge to get a cup of coffee. The doctor was sitting on a chair at one side of the room. As I walked by, he grabbed my knee and I hit him on the top of his head with my coffee cup.” She had the two pieces of the cup in her hands. The coffee mug was a cup that nestled one inside the other to make it insulated.
She explained that she was ex-army and any sudden noise, unexpected moves, or if she was touched when she wasn’t expecting it, she lashed out.
I chuckled and explained, “You’re not in trouble. If anyone’s in trouble, he is. He could be accused of sexual harassment. He had no right to touch you. You could even have him arrested for assault if he wants to complain. He’s not going to do anything. Dry your eyes and get back to work.”
The doctor had a reddened area and a small scrape on the top of his bald head for several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment