Monday, December 10, 2018


O Christmas Tree
As I undertook the Herculean task of decorating my artificial Christmas tree this year, my memory was stirred with many of the ornaments. Although most of the ornaments my wife Cindy and I bought for our children over the years were given to them when they started their own homes, there are still some that were made for us. Cotton ball sheep or snowmen, Popsicle stick scrolls, and felt lions all have claimed spots on the tree. The star is one my sister found for me that is the same as the one that lit my parents Carl and Sybil’s tree. It has 5 points, made of frosted plastic, and has red edging.
The one bulb that I claimed from my parent’s stash came up missing several years back and my sister was able to locate the same bulb. It was gold and sort of mushroom shaped, but because it was so unusual, it always caught my eye.
There are a few owl ornaments from my mother-in-law, Retha Morrison. My wife Cindy didn’t like mice, so of course there are several of those hanging on the tree. A peach pit carved to look like a basket is the remembrance of my father-in-law, Bud Morrison’s skill. I have been given almost 6 animals with stethoscopes or dressed as nurses. A tiny dove sits on a plastic ice cube. Several penguins, a couple of Snoopys, and a small bottle of hot sauce dangle from different branches. Two canoes, a tour boat, dozens of jingle bells, and crystal and Lucite icicles hang from the branch tips.  A colorful Cloisonné ball and 2 heavy Cloisonné bells claim thicker branches closer to the center of the tree. Bead, metal, and natural fiber wreaths with either pipe cleaner or ribbon bows find niches on the branches. Handmade wooden hearts trimmed in lace and ribbon. A half of a walnut shell cradles a swaddles bead baby and is nestled behind icy white garland. A menagerie of cartoon animals, carousel animals, and birds has found a perch in needled nests. Small stockings of felt and crocheted yarn, snowflakes of metal, beads, and tatted lace help to fill the bare spots. A small ceramic mug with Cindy’s name hangs beside an angel stenciled with my name. Stars, hearts, and crosses of crystal, a wooden chair stacked with books, and oh yes, even a commode all have become heirloom ornaments.

Some trees have a certain color or a type of ornament theme. I guess mine does too. It’s become a tree of precious family memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment