Tuesday, December 25, 2018


Decorating the Christmas Tree
I can’t remember whether or not my mother Sybil Beck ever told me that she helped her mom, Rebecca Miner decorate the Christmas tree in their huge farm house in Indian Head, Pennsylvania. But my mom always allowed my sister Kathy, my brother Ken, and me to decorate our tree at home. Each of us children had one special ornament that was the culminating experience of our holiday excitement. Later, I’m sure Mom “allowed” us to put on the layer after layer of limp, metallic icicles, because the tedious work it involved. Draping those silver tinsel icicles was a long and arduous process. Sometimes when Mom wasn’t looking and we were near the end of the batch, we’d just toss them onto the tree in one swift move. That was okay as long as they didn’t end up in a ball.
My wife Cindy and I continued a similar tradition into our own home allowing our kids to help decorate the tree. The icicles were a thing of the past, but each and every Christmas Amanda, Andrew, and Anna got a new ornament to add to their collection. As they grew older, it was their responsibility to hang, later remove and store them safely at each Christmas holiday.
When our kids married and left the nest, they took their large stash of handmade and store bought ornaments with them to use for their first Christmas in their new homes. Sentimental, perhaps, but I liked to think that a part of their Christmas happiness from their old home was being transferred and established in their new home, making the transition to married life just a little bit easier.
Now, at home it’s just the cat Willow and me. She doesn’t do much to decorate, but will be induced to attack some wooly or fuzzy looking ornament if it is hung low enough on the tree. I have had to rescue a poor white yarn lamb several times this year. Otherwise, she is content to make a bed on the thick fuzzy tree skirting and nap. Lately, there is no need to rescue ornaments. By hanging a set mousetrap as the lowest ornament, a loud snap has cured her from attacking the tree.
Merry Christmas to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment