Friday, October 5, 2018


Doubled My Pleasure
Even cutting out my two volunteer days, I found my dance card a bit full. Wednesday, I had a monthly meeting and meal with the “Grand Dames” of Frick Hospital. It is a chance for me to rub elbows again with the nurses with whom I’ve worked and who have retired from Frick Hospital in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania. The meal was held at Brady’s Restaurant Acme, Pennsylvania. The good thing is that I didn’t have to cook, the restaurant was local and didn’t have to drive very far, and the food was good as usual. There nearly two dozen ladies there and I was the only rooster in the hen house and garnered free hugs from all. I hope I don’t regret this 40 years from now. Ha, ha.
Wednesday evening was prayer meeting at my church. The church also has separate programs for the children and youth.
Thursday, it was the Retired Frick employee meal. Twice a year we gather to eat, relax, and talk together. This session was held at the Black Dog Pub, just across Route 31. Recalling and retelling stories that made life memorable while working there, meeting those we worked with and shared our lives with for so many years. It was great reestablishing those ties and seeing old friends.
I was to attend a writers meeting at the Mt. Pleasant Library Thursday evening, but the aching in my hands and hips caused me to stay home, take some pain meds, and try to type more haiku poetry into the computer.
Saturday I have a wedding to attend and reception. It is the daughter of my wife’s best friend. We spent many holidays together in their home or ours. They had three kids as did we. It seemed to work out quite well. Gift exchanges equaled out.
Sunday, my son Andrew’s church is having a friends and family day. I plan to attend if at all possible.
Each week I fool myself thinking I’ll have a few quiet days, and again I find that I’ve lied.

No comments:

Post a Comment