Friday, June 29, 2018


Do Not Go Gentle
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

This is the last line of a poem written by Dylan Thomas. I know that he wasn’t meaning what I am about to share. My thoughts are disgusted about the evolution of politics of today. The election is long past and there are many who are disappointed that their candidate didn’t win the White House, but never in my sixty-nine years of existence can I remember such hatred, such malignancy, and such rancor being expressed by any losing party. I am sickened that the elected officials from an opposing party are now encouraging violence against every voter, every supporter and every one of the winning officials. I can’t believe that the sting and embarrassment from the loss has overridden all reason and the losing officials are using their position to instigate open rebellion and insurrection. This vitriol comes from a group that prides themselves on tolerance and transparency.
I am disturbed that they have turned their backs on what is good for America and have embraced positions of opposition to unity and a widening of division of race, class, and religion. They have turned their backs on those who have served our country faithfully here and abroad, to protect our freedoms and are trying to remove as much of our liberty as they can.
The media has also used their influence on television, radio, and in print to disparage the election results by changing facts, cherry-picking words and phrases to alter the official’s meaning, or by outright reporting of outright untruths.
It has gotten so bad that the judicial and investigative officers of the law can no longer be trusted. The Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Department of Justice, and even the Internal Revenue Service have been caught egg on their respective faces. People who were to be in positions known for their integrity have proved themselves untrustworthy and unreliable.
I believe that term limits could minimize the stranglehold that a career politician has on Congress. Politics was never meant to be a lifetime appointment. When these officials are in Washington D.C. for so much time, they lose contact with their constituents and become influenced by lobbyists, fellow politicians, and the beltway crowd. Rage, rage, rage; never have I seen such seething discontent.

No comments:

Post a Comment