Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Another Step Forward
I am moving along with each progressive step of the process for my volunteering for diabetic medication study program. My appointment to have an eye examination by their ophthalmologist is now behind me. This older physician gave me an extremely thorough exam. He didn’t use the newer high fangled instruments that the Wal-Mart eye center uses, but he did all of the testing himself there were no techs to man the older machinery in his office that I recalled from my youth.
I’ve worn glasses since second grade. My glasses I was wearing were the cause of me needing sutures by old Doc Norton in his Melcroft office. A swinging bat during a recess softball game popped the lens out of the frames and cut my eyebrow. It created a flap that hung down over my eye. My mom Sybil Miner Beck borrowed a car to pick me up at school and drive to Melcroft. I can still remember the “hospital” smell of the exam room and the sting of the disinfectant as he cleaned the wound. He told me that I was lucky; the scar would be hidden in the hair of my eyebrow, if you can call being hit in the face with a baseball bat.
One thing that I appreciated about this doctor was that he took the time to explain each test he preformed, why he was doing the test, and explaining each finding and what it meant to my vision. He was congenial and shared things about my family and his. He is a doctor that takes the time to be human and I really liked that.
Although I recently had an eye examination, I acquiesced to having another eye examination because it was one of the requirements of the study and…the study covered the cost. Everything this doctor shared with me made sense, and although I was told by the Wal-Mart examiner there was no need for a change in lenses, this doctor explained why one of my eyes was seeing through a lens that was too strong and the other eye was straining because the lens was too weak. We shall see when my new glasses come in.
I didn’t think that I could wear contact lenses, but he said I could wear soft lenses, even with my astigmatism. I’d been wearing graduated lenses for years. He said if I wanted I could wear lenses that dealt with my nearsightedness only and could remove my glasses for reading and close work. I know that he told the truth. I often remove my glasses when I am reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment