Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Rainy Days and Mondays Always Gets Me Down
The decreasing daylight hours and the rain always make me feel sluggish and sort of depressed. It makes me want to hide inside knowing that winter is just around the corner. I’m glad that I have retired and don’t have to go out when the winter winds blow and the snows fall. I won’t say I like the rain, but I guess it is better than the snow and ice.
I do have a metal roof and have heard others say how much they like to hear the rain falling on the roof, but with the windows closed and the plastic storm windows in place, all I hear is the dull roar of a barrage of raindrops hitting the roof. There is no music of the drops pinging off the metal roof.
When the rains make everything soggy and water filled, it does make me want to remain inside where I am dry and warm. When mankind started to build shelters, I’m sure his wife wanted to be warm and dry as well. He would do all he could to keep the rain, wind, and snow outside and to keep their dwelling snug and secure. They had to carry water from a stream or well to cook, drink, and to clean. I’m sure that fetching the water day after day became more and more burdensome, so the woman of the house probably shared the desire to have water brought into the house with pipes and pump. After years of wanting to keep water out of the house, now it became a luxury, then a necessity to have water into the house and then a way to allow it to escape. Need I mention the privy?
Well, it’s Tuesday and the sun pierced the early morning mist with a golden glow. Even though the temperature belied the sunny warm feeling that the sun falsely shared, I was able to do some chores around the house. The “pool noodles” that I placed on the line for my outdoor sump pump several years ago had disintegrated and needed to be replaced. The “pool noodle” for the line that delivers fuel oil to my oil furnace was also in deplorable condition and needed to be replaced. All the “pool noodles” that had been so plenteous over the summer had all gone into hibernation and instead I purchased insulating foam covers designed for pipes. That chore is done.Wednesday, waking to snow. I want to go back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment