Friday, September 29, 2023

Taking Care of Business
There was a time when I went to events to try and sell my seven self-published books. Ideas of grandeur may have lurked at the back of my mind that I was a great author even though my scribbling wasn’t in the same class as Shakespeare. I gave up on ordering my books wholesale at a slightly lower price and selling them to make a few bucks. I’d rent a table at craft fairs and flea markets, but I usually spent more than I made. I’d buy some of the crafts and food. Slowly I understood the task of peddling my books wasn’t for me. It took more energy than I was willing to give.
Since then my writing has been an avocation. It is a hobby. Lately I only write for my blogspot, http://thomasbeck.blogspot.com/ . Thinking of new and different stories to share often strains my imagination. Deciding on a fresh topic may cause me to rewrite an old story, enhance the memories, or add details that I‘d forgotten at my first blog.
Although I haven’t given up on finishing more books, I find I have less time to write than I once did. I often have so many other things to do. This week I have had something scheduled for each day. It’s not always this hectic, but keeping the days and times of appointments straight are sometimes worrisome. Retirement has a way of causing me to not recall what day of the week. The lack of a regular schedule may confuse me as to which day it is.
I volunteer for four hours each week at the Stahlstown Historical Society sorting and filing the papers and items of the Laurel Highlands past. They may be photographs, deeds, marriage licenses, obituaries, maps, and artifacts that need catalogued and stored. The Society’s aim is to preserve and display as much of our area’s important documents and accomplishments.
I have access to that information stored in ledgers, file cabinets, and items housed in archival boxes at our facility. I’m able to uncover stories that would have been lost if they hadn’t been preserved by the Society. Doing the research is necessary for me, because I’m responsible for writing our newsletters. I have several others who will help me edit the paper. They will sometimes write an article that they’ve authored. Sometimes I find there are stories that almost write themselves with only a small amount of editing.
If you’re cleaning your home and find photos, documents, or items of interest, please offer them to your local historical society. If you choose not to donate them, allow your historical society to make copies and keep our history alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment