Friday, June 16, 2023

 Visit to Flight 93 Crash Site
It was a long day yesterday, I’m glad it wasn’t raining like this morning. I left my house at 7:15 in the morning to board the bus for a trip planned by the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. The trip was to the 93 crash site near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Even though the site of the park was close, I didn’t want to go alone. The tour isn’t something a person wants to do alone. It’s always better if you share the experience with another. I don’t mean to imply that it’s more fun to be with someone else, but the depth of the emotions that the site creates, it is better to have someone to lean on or to talk to. Shared sadness and grief always seems lighter when someone is there to help with the burden.
On our way, the bus had to slow down because a young black bear ran across the Pennsylvania, Turnpike and scurried off into the woods. As I toured the visitor and museum, I felt the tightness in my throat as I wondered among the artifacts from the crash now residing in the peaceful and serene Somerset countryside. We stopped in Johnstown for a light lunch, then into Cambria County to The Mountain Playhouse Theater on the Pasquilla Performing Arts Center on the University of Pittsburgh, Johnstown College Campus. The seats of the bus and the theater were very comfortable and I was able to enjoy the trip and the presentation of a musical titled, “Life Could Be a Dream.” The music and singers were marvelous crooning “Do-whop” songs from the fifties. The music was provided by five gentlemen to the side of the stage that accompanied the five singers and actors, four men and one lady. I couldn’t help myself from quietly singing along with their singing as the words were dredged from the swamp of my memory.
The bus driver Anthony was excellent and he ferried us back to “Oakhurst Tea Room” for a buffet on delicious food. Of course I filled my stomach. I don’t cook for myself like that at home and enjoyed every bite.
Back at home, I reclaimed the nap I so desperately needed, because I didn’t get one during the trip. There was no time or opportunity. I met several people that I knew and made a few more friends. All in all, I really enjoyed the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment