Friday, March 24, 2023

 Sometimes Surprised
I had to wait at home Thursday for my lawn tractor to be picked up. I couldn’t get it to start even after I charged the battery. I removed the solenoid and took it to my nearby John Deere dealer to see if that was the problem. It was good, so I made arrangements to have it picked up for repair. (PS: I am mechanically dyslexic and knew I couldn’t put it back together.) I also asked that they change oil and sharpen the blades while it’s in the shop. Once it was loaded, I left to do some shopping.
Thursday was a gloomy, gray, rainy day and I decided I needed a few groceries. It was close to lunchtime and I decided to hit one of my usual restaurants. Many times when I leave the cash tip, I also leave one of my business cards for my waitress. The card shares information that I am a “Wordsmith and Author.” It also lists a few of my books and that I have a blogspot.
One of the newer and younger and very pretty waitresses came over to my table. She wasn’t my waitress and I was certain that it wasn’t because I was a handsome Prince Charming, but what she said took me by surprise. Another waitress to whom I shared a business card remembered that I was a writer and told her that I was an author. She explained that she was in school and wanted to become a writer. I know I pass out a lot of business cards, but this was the first time that someone else recognized me from my card. I imagine part of it was I am a regular and foist a card as well as a tip for my waitress. They knew that the new waitress had a desire to be a writer and that I labeled myself as one. We talked for a few seconds and I gave her one of my business cards. I told her that I was retired and wasn’t pimping for folks to buy my books. Six of the seven are at the Mt. Pleasant Library and on Kindle, so they can be read for free as is my blogspot. I told her I was glad to have more readers.
On the back of her card I wrote a few words of encouragement. “May your mysteries be solvable, your adventures good ones, and your love stories be true.” She smiled and walked away allowing me to eat my meal. PS: I don’t know which other waitress told her I was a writer, but I did leave a nice tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment