Thursday, August 18, 2022

I Remember Mama

There was a television program called, “I Remember Mama” I know they were a Scandinavian family, possibly from Norway and their adapting to living in America. Because it was so long ago, I can recall the program, but it was in black and white their accent and their turn of the century garb. I can’t remember any of the story plots, but I can guarantee that they were more wholesome than the Kaardashians, Naked and Afraid, or any of the other “reality” programs. I want to know, whose “reality” are they talking about? Certainly they’re not talking anybody that I know.

I can remember my mom Sybil Miner Beck and her mom Rebecca Rugg Miner. They weren’t anything the women who flaunt their riches and their callous disregard for anything but themselves. My gram and my mom were both hard working people. They cared for their families, scrimping and saving to provide food and clothing for their kids. They were God fearing women who loved the Lord and dressed modestly. My gram never wore pants and the skirts of her dresses were always below her knees. Her stockings were thick cotton and her shoes were black tie-on with a slight heel. I can’t remember any other style for her coal black hair other that a tight bun on the back of her head. Her hands and feet were gnarled by rheumatic arthritis, but she really could cook.

My mom was a busy woman too, She cared for us kids, helped my grandfather Beck keep books for several multi-million dollar lumber companies and did taxes. For awhile, she was a Magistrate and a Notary Public. She liked to sew and often was satisfied sitting at her electric sewing machine. She got her mother’s treadle machine and would use it too. One thing I especially remember my mom was she liked to read. Often before it was bedtime for us kids, she’d read several stories. None of them were very long. She’d sit among us on the living room couch and share the tale, often with sound effects. I think that is why I like to share stories of my family and the experiences of my life. So much information and tales were lost as she retreated deeper and deeper into her Alzheimer’s shell. She and her five sisters were victims of this insidious disease: Rachel Peck, Cora Hyatt, Violet Bottomley, Ina Nicholson, and Cosey Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment