Wednesday, April 14, 2021

 

Back to Normal If I Ever Was Normal

This will be another busy week, much like weeks before my hospitalization. The major difference is much of the busyness is two doctors’ appointments. One physician will inject my knee with the rooster comb injections. The brand my doctor uses is Euflexxa, a type of hyaluronic acid. She tried injections of steroids with minimal effect. Because I had the steroid injection, it was necessary for me to wait six weeks before she could try the Euflexxa, then my heart problem and the cardiac surgery caused me to push the treatment back two weeks. It allowed me to get my wits about me and start to heal. There will be three injections, one each for three weeks. I’ve had some relief when walking and climbing the stairs with the first. We’ll see what happens after my third injection.

Later in the week I have an appointment with my endocrinologist. While I as in the hospital, they no longer gave me my oral diabetic medications. They only give insulin injections and my blood sugars were high. The reason the hospitals use only insulin is there are so many oral blood sugar medications, the pharmacies and nurses would have difficulty supplying them. The doctor wants to supplement my insulin with a newer med, an insulin enhancer. I’m hoping that he doesn’t, because my morning blood sugars have been much lower. Sometimes it’s below 100 and that scares me.

Tuesday, I visited a few of my high school classmates for lunch. Once per month we get together to eat, gossip, and laugh. We catch up with what is going on in our lives and reminisce about other classmates and things that happened while we were in high school. We talked about Walt’s, a small store halfway between high school buildings, the boys in swimming classes swam au naturale, and a few of our teachers.

I am hoping to do a short visit to the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society, to prove to them that I’m still alive and try to retrieve a few more articles for the next edition of the newsletter. As its editor, I’m not bragging, well maybe just I am a bit, but I think each newsletter is filled with interesting local histories and information. Wednesday evening I plan to attend prayer meeting at our church, and yes, I have been driving locally.

Later this week, I want to attend a school presentation of Cinderella. Two of my granddaughters have roles in the production. What a wonderful way to top off a busy schedule. I just pray I have enough wind in my sails to outlast the week. So far I’ve managed to keep up with my morning walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment