Wednesday, December 4, 2019


The Closer to Christmas We Get
Each year I start to buy and store gifts early. I “hide” them at the side of my bed until it’s time to wrap them. Months earlier I buy things that I think my family will enjoy. Some are gifts to make them smile and some are things they need and can use. The gifts aren’t usually expensive, just something for them to unwrap when we gather to celebrate the Christmas holiday. When I was still working, they made times to celebrate around my schedule. Nurses are one profession that doesn’t get every holiday off. They work odd schedules to provide care 24 hours of each day, 365 days per year.
Instead of going out on “black Friday” and face the insanity, small gifts are gradually and a Christmas card with money will make them happy. What makes me the happiest is that cards are easier than gifts to wrap. I got burned out with wrapping years ago. My mom, Sybil Beck would put gifts in bags so I couldn’t tell what they were and I got assigned the chore of wrapping them. I’ve kiddingly said that I want to spray paint the gifts. It would be easier and much quicker. I haven’t tried it yet, but that doesn’t mean that I won’t at sometime in the future.
This year our Pastor asked if I would come up with games and a skit for our Christmas banquet. I said that I would and have a few games planned. I was drawing a blank for an idea for a short skit. I asked my daughter Anna Prinkey to help with an idea. She did, but sometimes she can be a bit flamboyant. Her play had a cast of thousands with multiple scene changes. It was too much to prepare inr the short amount of time we had. Her idea was great, but the skit needed some trimming of characters and scenes. I sharpened my “knife” pencil and began to whittle away at the extra fluff. The core idea remained the same, but the cast is now three people: a wife, husband, and narrator. The stage is set with only a table and a chair with props that are replaced on the table to indicate scene changes.
One of the games is a dexterity game where even older people can join and enjoy. One game is using Bible passages to name towns in Pennsylvania. I was able to make a list of about twenty-five cities and small towns. Another game is a twist on Charades. Several “volunteers” will be “enticed” to act out the item found to get the audience to give the correct answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment